Far Cry 2 Author Tips
1. Weapons dropped by enemies are always in a somewhat unreliable state so avoid them unless in extreme circumstances. For best results, purchase weapons at a weapon shop and pull fresh models off the armory’s shelves with each visit. Once you buy a weapon, an unlimited amount of the same type are always available at armories, and always in mint condition.
2. The LPO-50 flamethrower is a great way to quickly eliminate enemies in assault trucks. Duck behind cover and wait for an assault truck to approach, then when it’s nearby, stand up and douse the vehicle in flames. Due to the vehicle’s open sides and rear, the driver and gunner don’t stand a chance. Just make sure you’re not hit by the truck before you can attack-if you’re spotted, the driver will try to run you down.
3. The enemy AI’s vision is significantly reduced at night, making it harder for them to detect you. Hiding in tall grass or behind shrubs can also make it difficult for them to spot you. For best results, stay on higher elevations too. If you’re standing on lower terrain, they’ll have a much easier time detecting you.
4. The turrets on swamp boats only fire in a limited forward arc. So if facing a hostile swamp boat head-on, throttle past it at full speed to get out of the kill zone. The hostile boat must then turn completely around before it can reacquire you, by which time you should be well out of range.
5. If you injure an enemy, they will usually cry out, triggering an alert. But be careful when killing enemies too-alerts are propagated when bodies are discovered too. So be mindful of where bodies drop and try to neutralize targets outside the sight lines of their comrades.
6. When attacking convoys with IEDs, place your first device near a landmark that’s easy to distinguish from long range, such as a tree or signpost. Once you move to a safe distance, spotting the IEDs on a road can be difficult without the aid of your monocular, so using a landmark allows you to easily identify the blast zone. Therefore all you have to do is watch the landmark and detonate the explosives when the convoy passes it.
7. Bus stations function like a warp, taking you directly from one station to another, allowing you to bypass all the hostile forces along the way. The bus is also a great way to get back to town after completing a mission. Use them as frequently as possible.
8. Long grass has grains at the top of each blade and provides the most effective concealment. If attempting to hide in shorter grass (without the grains), enemies will have no trouble spotting you. When using the Camo Suit upgrade, you’re virtually invisible while remaining motionless in high grass.
9. When firing rocket launchers, a large plume of fiery exhaust shoots out the back of the tube. So be mindful of your surroundings. If you’re standing in dry grass, it may cause a wild fire, setting your legs on fire shortly after the launch. For best results, stand on rocks or other nonflammable surfaces when firing rockets.
10. Setting wild fires is a great way to distract hostile units. The AI recognizes fire as a separate threat and will take steps to avoid it, making it a kind of force multiplier working in your favor. But pay close attention to the wind before going pyro. Orient your attack so the wind is at your back, blowing toward the enemy-watch the swaying movement of grass and trees to determine the wind’s direction. Wind can carry a fire quickly, especially when moving through dry grass. Fire is less effective in lush (green) or wet environments. Starting a raging wild fire during or after a rainstorm is nearly impossible.